A delicious brisket recipe featuring our most famous fresh-grated Gold’s Prepared Horseradish.
- One 5 1/2-pound first-cut brisket
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons. vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons minced or pressed garlic
- 4 carrots, cut crosswise 1 inch thick
- 2 medium parsnips, halved lengthwise and cut crosswise 1 inch thick
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup Gold’s Prepared Horseradish, drained
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 2 bay leaves, preferably fresh
- 3 cups beef stock or low-sodium broth
- 4 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- Preheat the oven to 325°. Season the brisket generously with salt and pepper. Heat 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil in an oven safe skillet and brown brisket all over. Remove the brisket to a platter.
- Pour off all but 3 tablespoons of the fat from the skillet. Add the onions and half of the garlic and cook over moderate heat until softened. Add the carrots, parsnips and celery and cook for 6 minutes more.
- Combine 1/4 cup of the prepared horseradish, the remaining garlic and 1/2 tablespoon of vegetable oil. Spread the garlic-horseradish paste on the fat side of the brisket.
- Pour the red wine into the skillet. Bring to a boil and cook over high heat, scraping up the browned bits for 1 minute.
- Push the vegetables to the side of the skillet and add the bay leaves. Set the brisket, horseradish side up, in the center of the skillet.
- Pour the beef stock around the brisket and bring to a simmer over moderate heat. Cover the skillet, transfer to the oven and cook for 1 hour.
- Scatter the potatoes around the brisket, cover and cook another 2 hours, until the meat is very tender. Increase the oven temperature to 350°. Uncover roast for about 30 minutes
- Transfer the brisket to a carving board and let rest for 30 minutes. Discard the bay leaves. Transfer the vegetables to a serving platter.
- Pour the cooking liquid into a gravy boat and discard the fat. Whisk the remaining 1/4 cup of prepared horseradish into the gravy and serve alongside thinly sliced brisket.